Saturday, February 13



John 13:12-17
When he finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.  “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.  “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”


Reflection
After Jesus washed the feet of his disciples he plainly told them that he did it so that they would know how to serve others.  Jesus took the role of servant and he wants us to do the same.  Jesus knows that servant-love is the only way to win the world to his message of love and grace.  Nothing less will do. 

So we must learn what it means to live as a servant and to give ourselves away in acts of servant love.  That is how we impart the love of Jesus to others; we serve them.

When was the last time you truly served someone with a Jesus-like love who was not a member of your own family?  Are acts of service to impart the love of Jesus an intentional part of your life?