Tuesday, April 5



2 Corinthians 12:7-9a
Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”


Reflection
In this passage, Paul tells the Corinthian church about the thorn in the flesh that was given to him.  While we don’t know the specific thorn, the apparent purpose of this thorn was to keep Paul from conceit on account of his visions and revelations, which otherwise may have given him a reason to boast.  It is important to note that the existence of illness, pain or suffering in a believer's life does not necessarily constitute a sinful life or a life that lacks faith.  Paul pleaded with the Lord on three separate occasions for the Lord to remove the thorn, yet God's grace was enough for the apostle and God’s power was made perfect in Paul's weakness.

What thorn(s) in your life have provided ongoing challenges?

How have you experienced God’s grace despite the thorn(s)?