Monday, April 4



Romans 7:15, 18-21
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. … For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.  So, I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.



Reflection
After discussing the tension between the holiness of God’s law and our inclination to sin, Paul shares his frustration with his own struggle to put aside the desires of his flesh (sin) for the spirit of God (grace).  As Paul laments, even though we experience God’s grace in our lives, we continue our daily struggle with our past choices and current desires.  True grace convicts us of our sin, mourns over our sin, and guides us to repentance.  Grace also lets us know that the goal is not sinless perfection in this life.  Rather, we are encouraged to move toward perfection as we continue our walk of discipleship in God’s grace.

What are the struggles and poor choices in your life that seem to be regular tripping points?

How can understanding true grace (as defined above) help you move toward perfection?