Thursday, December 10



John 17:20-23
“My prayer is not for them alone.  I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”



Reflection
This passage is called “Jesus prayer for unity for all believers.”  Jesus prays that we will find unity in our belief in him.  We find our unity by being in the Father and the Son who are in perfect unity.  When we possess this kind of unity in Jesus then we don’t need complicated structures. 

As we are one in Jesus and the Father then the world will truly know that Jesus is the One who the father sent to save us.  The world will know by the unity we have in Jesus that we are loved by Jesus and they can have the love of Jesus as well.  We won’t need to have a lot of structure to get the mission of the church done.  Our unity together in Christ will enable us to fulfill our mission.

Does the church always reflect the unity that Jesus prayed for in John 17?