Monday, September 28, 2015



Ephesians 6:19

Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel...



Reflection

Paul asks for prayer.  However, he does not ask for generic prayer.  The prayer request is very specific.  He wants prayer that empowers him to be able to always use his words to share the good news of Jesus Christ.  That is how focused Paul is on spreading the news of Jesus Christ.  He doesn’t ask that the Ephesians pray that he will share the gospel when he has the opportunity.  No, he says pray for me that I will have the strength and courage to share the gospel every time I open my mouth.  Paul wants to make sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ a lifestyle.

That should make us think.  Is the possibility of sharing the gospel with others that much of a constant reality for us as it was for the Apostle Paul?  Should it be?  I wonder if we really give much thought to the idea that we should live our lives from the perspective of always looking for that moment to share Jesus.  I think part of the reason we don’t do this is because we are afraid.  Paul says that he wants prayer so that he can share Jesus with others without fear.  Maybe that is the key.  Maybe we need to spend more time praying that God will give us the courage to share the gospel.

Do you experience sharing the gospel with others as something that is always on your mind?

Do you pray often for the courage to share the gospel?