Wednesday, June 10, 2015



Luke 9:59-62

“He said to another man, ‘Follow me.’  But the man   replied, ‘Lord, first let me go and bury my father.’  Jesus said to him, ‘Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.’"




Reflection

As we have learned during this sermon series Jesus invitation to follow him is an open one.  It is extended to everyone.  Jesus freely invites us to follow him.  This passage of scripture tells of another instance when Jesus extended that invitation to an individual.  However, this person indicated they wanted to follow Jesus but they qualified that decision by saying let me take care of family matters first.  When the man said, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” He was probably saying, “I will follow you, Jesus, when my father dies, whenever that might be.”  Basically this man was saying that he would follow Jesus but he would pick the time.  Jesus tells us that is not the way it works.  We must respond when Jesus calls.  Take some time to reflect whether you have been fully willing to put all other concerns to the side and follow Jesus right now.