Saturday, September 6, 2014

Psalm 23
1  The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
     he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
     He guides me along the right paths
       for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the 
   house of the Lord forever.


Reflection
This is a very familiar Psalm. It has helped many people over the years. There many people who have said that these verses were a comfort to them in times of trouble. We should consider that verses like Psalm 23 are anchor verses. Anchor verses are things that will help us hold on even in the midst of the storm. Do you have an anchor verse that reminds you that God’s steadfast love is with you? What about that verse is calming? If you do not have one yet is there something in the 23rd Psalm that would provide comfort in the midst of the storms of your life?