Monday, September 15, 2014

Jeremiah 29:10-14

10 This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”


Reflection
Jeremiah 29:11 is one of the most quoted scriptures. The trouble is that it is hardly ever viewed in its full context. We talk about God having a plan for our lives but we neglect to see that God promises this to the Israelites only after 70 years of hardship. The best way to see this verse is in connection with the promise that God has the best intentions for our lives and not that God has a prescribed role for each of us to play. There are many things that can get in the way of God’s plan for us. The greatest way that God’s purposes for our lives can take a detour is through free will. How do you think the fact that God has given every person free will effects the way God’s purpose is lived out in our life?