Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Psalm 130
1 Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord;
2 Lord, hear my voice.
   Let your ears be attentive
   to my cry for mercy.
3 If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
    so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
5 I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
    and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
    more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning.
7 Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
    for with the Lord is unfailing love
    and with him is full redemption.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
    from all their sins.

Isaiah 40:6-8
A voice says, “Cry out.”
   And I said, “What shall I cry?”
   “All people are like grass,  and all their
   faithfulness is like the flowers of the field.
7 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    because the breath of the Lord blows on them.
    Surely the people are grass.
8 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God endures forever. ”

 Reflection
Have you ever wondered why we are drawn to God’s Word in the midst of our deepest sorrow and hurt? The most common answer to this is hope. Why does the Word of God inspire hope in the midst of sorrow, loss, and grief? Because in the midst of our sorrow, loss, and grief we come face to face with our own mortality. Martin Luther points to the great hope we have in the midst of our mortality in his great hymn, “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.”
“ Let good and kindred go, this mortal life also; the body they may kill: God's truth abideth still,“ Is there hope in these words for you? Share it with God.