Friday, April 24, 2015

Psalm 139:1-6
You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.


Reflection
Today we begin to the scripture that we read on Monday. In this passage, we actually see the word “yada” in many places, but we also encounter another word in Hebrew that describes our intimacy with God. This word in Hebrew is “sakan.” It is translated here in verse 3 as “familiar.” The idea behind this word is that it is the motivation for why we yada (know) and sod (share) with one another and God. Sakan means to be caringly involved, beneficial, familiar with, or treasure one another. God has shown us through the life, death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ that he is caringly involved in our lives. How do you show that you are familiar with and treasure God?