Saturday, May 17, 2014

2 Kings 17:32-41
Lord, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,
“God will not deliver him.”
But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain
I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.
Arise, Lord!
    Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
    break the teeth of the wicked.
From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.


Reflection
Our scripture today is a particular type of psalm called a lament psalm. They are called lament psalms because of the events going on in an authors lives they are lamenting. But lament psalms are unique in that along side a lament they also contain a praise for what God has done. The trouble we get into sometimes is that we sometimes feel like the lament psalmist and think the world is against us. The truth that we need to remember is that like the lament psalmist even if the world is against us the Lord is with us. With this in mind we should go to God to really look and see if the world has turned against us or have our idols made us feel like the world has turned against us. Do you think that sometimes we can feel that the world is against us because our desires and demands are being unmet? How do you think this can be a sign of an idol in our lives?