Friday, January 10, 2014

Numbers 22:32-35
32 The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. 33 The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.” 34 Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.” 35 The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you.” So Balaam went with Balak’s officials.


Reflection
Again, God tells Balaam to say only what He tell him. This time God’s message is from an angel but God is very serious. In fact it’s interesting that the angel says he would have killed Balaam but he didn’t want to hurt the donkey. It is also a key role reversal. Earlier in the story Balaam threatens to kill the donkey and now the angel threatens to kill him. So many times we get upset at those things that keep us from moving forward. We say things like if I only had... or if this person would not have done this…life would be better. But what if like the donkey, the very thing we are angry at is not the perceived object that is  in our way but we are angry with God. Angry  that God has not given us what we think we want. Do you find this to be true about anger? Why or why not?